Welcome To Relax Consulting's Blog

Transparent thoughts and ideas from Administrative Consultant (aka: Virtual Assistant, Crystal Casavant of Relax Consulting.

Relax Consulting - Let Us Help, So YOU Can RELAX!

Phone: 920.645.7529

Email: Crystal@RelaxConsulting.com



Thursday, January 17, 2013

Don't Let Your Email Manage You

We are supposed to manage our email accounts, not the other way around. That was sure profound, right? Not at all ... but do you ever have those days when it feels like your email is managing you instead? I've learned a few tricks and tips over the years that may help you get back in the driver's seat of your email-mobile

1) Touch It Once - if you aren't going to do anything with it today, get rid of it. The thought "maybe I'll need that" should not apply to emails. If you don't think you need it, you likely don't. Go with your instincts and don't be afraid to discard what doesn't apply to you. Saving it to a new folder doesn't make it any more important.

2) Pick Up The Phone - you know that thing on your desk? Yup - that's a phone ... and people are still able to talk on them. Even your smart phone - I'm sure you know that you can text on it and read emails - but did you know that you can also talk on it? Sarcasm aside, just pick up the phone if the email requires a brief response. It allows you to build relationships, respond quickly, and it saves additional emails in your inbox. (if you don't pick up the phone, see the below example of what might happen)

From: Liysa
To: Me

Crystal,

Good morning! Do you think you could come to the meeting early this afternoon? I need someone to set up beverages and get the projector ready. I don't have time and I'm hoping you can help. Let me know.

Thanks,
Liysa

From: Me
To: Liysa

Liysa,

Sure - glad to help. What time? Just water, or water and coffee too? Do I need to bring my laptop, or will yours be there?

Let me know.

~Crystal


From: Liysa
To: Me

Crystal,

I really should have given you more information - sorry. I think water and coffee is a great idea. You'll have to pop by my office and pick up my laptop if you wouldn't mind. Does that work?

Thanks,
Liysa


From: Me
To: Liysa

Liysa,

No problem - I'd be happy to stop by your office. What time works for you?

~Crystal




From: Liysa
To: Me

Crystal,

I think 2pm should be fine and give you plenty of time. See you then. Thanks again!

Thanks,
Liysa


From: Me
To: Liysa

Liysa,

You're welcome - see you then!

~Crystal

Six emails later ... we each have the information we need. Had I picked up the phone after receiving the first email, we could have spent two minutes or less on the phone and quickly exchanged the information as well as a few pleasantries. Additional emails waste time and disrupt productivity.

3) Purge Anything Old - Do you have emails from several months ago cluttering up your inbox? Set yourself a limit - and then stick with it. For me, my mantra is "if it's over 60 days old, pitch it". I go into my inbox and purge anything over 60 days old. This allows me to keep my inbox(es) tidy and clean and I don't feel overwhelmed.

4) Walk Away From Your Smart Phone - Nothing terrible is going to happen if you leave your smart phone on the kitchen table while you spend time folding laundry. I'm sure there are exceptions if you have a terminally ill relative, or if you are a heart surgeon ... but the rest of us deserve a break sometimes. When we are reading bedtime stories to our children, we shouldn't be checking our emails, taking client calls, or catching up on our daily dose of social media. It's okay to disconnect. Set some boundaries for yourself. Our inbox can be flooded with coupons, offers, and non emergent emails. If we are afraid to put down our phones, important life moments can be disrupted for no good reason (ie: in the middle of a romantic dinner, I hear and email come in, so I check my phone ... it's a Kohl's coupon ... I just sent my husband the message that the latest sale on designer shoes is more important than he is? f a i l ...)

As you start to put some of these tips and tricks into practice, you'll find that it's easier to click 'delete' and it won't be as overwhelming when you log into your email account each day. I have several email accounts - some are personal, some professional, some connected to my blog and others connected to my website. If I allowed those email accounts to manage me, the only place they'd drive me is certifiably nuts! I'm in the driver's seat ... and my emails can wait ... I have a life to live!

Happy Travels!
~Crystal


No comments:

Post a Comment